Saturday, June 7, 2008

Finally, Progress!

Well, I wasn't actually born in a small town, but I now live in a small town. Because we live in this "small town" and there is nothing to do on a REALLY hot day, we have time to do projects. We started with a blank slate. One might think that would be easy? But, not for me. The options are endless, and while I am artistic I don't know that I'm very creative. We have lived here almost a year already (crazy huh?) and have been wondering what to do with the back yard. When we moved in we could not afford to have them put sod in so it's a bunch of rock hard clay. Finally, Chris and I brainstormed and this is what we came up with. I love the Cottage look so I really wanted a little white picket fence. Little did I know the torture it would be to build it ourselves! It was a family affair, even Anthony helped at one point. We had small rocks delivered to "extend" the patio so that we didn't have to deal with pouring concrete. Above are shots of us working and below are shots of my beautiful new space. Now, you need to know that we have been outside all day today and it was 100 degrees, with a heating index of 107 degrees. Can someone say "Hot in, so hot in herre"? Today I am a warrior, somehow I worked all day in that treacherous heat. I'm really looking for a pat on the back here can you tell?:) Eventually I will plant lovely flowering bushes along the outside of the fence, but that is another days job.

I'm really looking forward to enjoying this space. I think Chris did a great job (although I was right there beside him). I couldn't have done it myself, that's for sure. Hopefully one day, I can enjoy it with you all up here too. Right now it's a little hot, but in the evening's it is beautiful, and we enjoy looking out into the woods and watching the birds. Now that is crazy, I am enjoying watching the birds. Actually when you look at nature and what God has created, it's truly amazing. Every bird is different, blues, reds, oranges. Finches...oh my goodness they are so cute. But I digress! I must go shower for the sake of my family and then enjoy a relaxing night after a long, long day.

4 comments:

Kasjaniuk said...

Girl, this looks AWESOME!!! Hope the temperature stays bearable, so you guys can enjoy it. Great Work!

Grandma Andie said...

You get a huge pat on the back from me!! First off, The patio is beautiful, congrats to the "Design Team" ! Secondly, working in that 100 degree heat....well I am not telling you all how to spend your summer day....I guess my small town self just found less exciting activities in the heat :).
Great work..Keep up the great family time!!

Lori said...

It looks really good, Meg! Can't wait to see it in person in Nov! You were so right about Flyboys...ick!

Anonymous said...

Meagen, it looks awesome - so you! I worked in our yard this weekend, but instead of making it look "quaint" and "pretty" like yours, we put up one of those "redneck pools"! Will send you pics when I take them.