Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July, just early:)


OK, those of you who know me well, know that I like to "plan" ahead right? Lately circumstances have forced me to "go with the flow"... very hard for me. But, it's a good thing! I always buy the kids new shirts for the 4th and did so this year. However, in our little town they don't do fireworks on the day of our Independence, they do it the day before. Hmmm, why you ask? I have no idea! So on July 3rd in the early evening, Ada calls and says "fireworks are tonight, with a concert and jummpy things for the kids in downtown". "What?" So, I "go with the flow" and get everyone somewhat ready, pack the camera then I wonder, do I put the new shirts on the kids or just put them in red, white and blue? Because, technically the 4th is tomorrow and that is when they should wear their shirts. Do you see how "OCD" I am? So I don't put the shirts on the kids and we go to our towns idea of a celebration.

Well guess what? We had a great time. The weather was amazing, a cool breeze, a clear view of the fireworks and hardly any people compared to what we are used to. The one thing missing was our usual crew for the 4th and that was yucky! Anthony was not feeling all that well but he was a trooper. It was a little weird though, celebrating a day early. Because, on the actual 4th we didn't know what to do with ourselves. Chris's Mom and sister Gloria came up on the 4th in the afternoon from FL. So on the actual 4th we ended up going to the $1 movies and to TGI Friday's for dinner at about 10pm. Ironic thing is, we have been in a drought and when we got out of the movies... it was raining! (Go figure, right Marie?). So all of the folks who came out to see fireworks in the city missed them, and we got to see them the night before. Sometimes things just work out. Except for the fact that the kids shirts didn't get there debut! Oh well, there is always next year. Happy Belated 4th to all of you, we missed you this year and love you all so much.

Aside from all of the celebration, we do have to remember those who have given their lives for this country and how wonderful it is to be a part of that. A place where we are free to worship the God of Heaven! I remember my Dad on this day and what he gave and lost in Vietnam. How it changed who was and made him into who he is. I'm proud of him for what he gave but sad for what was taken from him, his innocence. Thank you Daddy for all you did for this country, for losing a part of who you were so that you could in turn give so much more. I'm here because you survived and if nothing else know that I love you:)

4 comments:

Kasjaniuk said...

Fireworks on the 3rd, rain on the 4th ... I'm saying be REALLY crazy and make them wear their shirts on the 6th :) You make me laugh, and feel a lot better that there is someone out there just like me!! :)

Lori said...

nO RAIN HERE FOR THE FOURTH THIS UEAR...i KNOW, WE ALL JUST STOOD AROUND AMAZED AT OUR cHRISTMAS MIRACLE IN jULY! wE MISSED YOU!

Grandma Andie said...

My dad wears his red, white, and blue almost everyday. I know what you mean about war changing and also making the man. I did not know him before WWII, but lived through it with him in the years that followed and still today.... These are brave and courageous people who protect our freedoms.

Unknown said...

We miss you guys. I have been out of tow so I just got a chance to catch up on your blog. I know what you mean about the emotions you felt at 5th grade graduation. I still can't believe that Alyssa is going into 7th grade and Taylor into 6th. Eeek, we are getting old!